Long Island News
Police officer accused of shoplifting baby food
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Nassau County police officer has been charged with stealing $40 worth of baby food from a Long Island supermarket.
Nassau County Police say Officer Thomas Welsh was arrested on Tuesday morning.
He is accused of hiding pouches of baby food using plastic bags and a bungee cord while at a Stop N Shop store in West Hempstead.
He was charged with petit larceny and possession of burglary tools. He was issued an appearance ticket and is scheduled to be in court on May 17. It was not immediately known if he has a lawyer.
A Nassau police spokesman said the 48-year-old Welsh is a 25-year department veteran. He was suspended for 30 days.
A call to the police union seeking comment was not immediately returned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, mineola, officer arrested, shoplifting, crime, long island news
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 34 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos