Long Island News
Police officer accused of shoplifting baby food
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Nassau County police officer has been charged with stealing $40 worth of baby food from a Long Island supermarket.
Nassau County Police say Officer Thomas Welsh was arrested on Tuesday morning.
He is accused of hiding pouches of baby food using plastic bags and a bungee cord while at a Stop N Shop store in West Hempstead.
He was charged with petit larceny and possession of burglary tools. He was issued an appearance ticket and is scheduled to be in court on May 17. It was not immediately known if he has a lawyer.
A Nassau police spokesman said the 48-year-old Welsh is a 25-year department veteran. He was suspended for 30 days.
A call to the police union seeking comment was not immediately returned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, mineola, officer arrested, shoplifting, crime, long island news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 19 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos