Long Island News
Police officer accused of shoplifting baby food
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Nassau County police officer has been charged with stealing $40 worth of baby food from a Long Island supermarket.
Nassau County Police say Officer Thomas Welsh was arrested on Tuesday morning.
He is accused of hiding pouches of baby food using plastic bags and a bungee cord while at a Stop N Shop store in West Hempstead.
He was charged with petit larceny and possession of burglary tools. He was issued an appearance ticket and is scheduled to be in court on May 17. It was not immediately known if he has a lawyer.
A Nassau police spokesman said the 48-year-old Welsh is a 25-year department veteran. He was suspended for 30 days.
A call to the police union seeking comment was not immediately returned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, mineola, officer arrested, shoplifting, crime, long island news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies 11 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon 26 min ago
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013