Long Island News
Police officer accused of shoplifting baby food
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Nassau County police officer has been charged with stealing $40 worth of baby food from a Long Island supermarket.
Nassau County Police say Officer Thomas Welsh was arrested on Tuesday morning.
He is accused of hiding pouches of baby food using plastic bags and a bungee cord while at a Stop N Shop store in West Hempstead.
He was charged with petit larceny and possession of burglary tools. He was issued an appearance ticket and is scheduled to be in court on May 17. It was not immediately known if he has a lawyer.
A Nassau police spokesman said the 48-year-old Welsh is a 25-year department veteran. He was suspended for 30 days.
A call to the police union seeking comment was not immediately returned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, mineola, officer arrested, shoplifting, crime, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos