Long Island News
Police officer accused of shoplifting baby food
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Nassau County police officer has been charged with stealing $40 worth of baby food from a Long Island supermarket.
Nassau County Police say Officer Thomas Welsh was arrested on Tuesday morning.
He is accused of hiding pouches of baby food using plastic bags and a bungee cord while at a Stop N Shop store in West Hempstead.
He was charged with petit larceny and possession of burglary tools. He was issued an appearance ticket and is scheduled to be in court on May 17. It was not immediately known if he has a lawyer.
A Nassau police spokesman said the 48-year-old Welsh is a 25-year department veteran. He was suspended for 30 days.
A call to the police union seeking comment was not immediately returned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, mineola, officer arrested, shoplifting, crime, long island news
- Missing plane may have turned back 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 47 min ago
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Sen. Rand Paul wins CPAC presidential straw poll 6 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
24 min ago