Long Island News
3 nabbed after police chase ends near school
MASSAPEQUA (WABC) -- Neighbors in Massapequa awoke to sirens and screeching tires at four o'clock Wednesday morning.
One of the suspects was arrested after trying to jump a fence. The suspects crashed their car after leading Nassau County Police officers on a high-speed chase through two towns.
Just minutes earlier, the men were spotted stealing the tires off an Infinity in Wantagh.
The car came to rest alongside Vince Rigoli's house, which is less than half a block from Fairfield Elementary School. Streets in the area were closed by the police activity.
Police say one officer fired one shot at a suspect who was attempted to scale a fence, but no one was hit by the bullet. Authorities say that as soon as that shot was fired, the suspect gave up his attempt to flee and surrendered.
The tires were recovered by police inside the getaway car.
Detectives believe the men are responsible for several similar thefts in recent months. The owner of the Infinity was victimized twice.
Charges against all three are pending.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, wantagh, massapequa, police chase, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen