Long Island News
Brookhaven crash kills former high school football star
BROOKHAVEN (WABC) -- Former high school football star Willie Davis of Bellport was killed when the car in which he was riding went out of control and crashed Friday night on the Montauk Highway in Brookhaven.
Dozens of grief-stricken friends and family gathered for a vigil Saturday night to mourn Davis's death.
"He was my uncle. I'm never going to see him again and that's hard to digest for me," said Davis's niece, Daejianna Claiborne.
"He had a great personality," said a friend, Lauren Demas.
"He walked into the room and it lit up no matter what the mood was in the room."
Davis was in the car with his cousin Jasheem Trent, who was driving when the car went spiraling out of control.
It happened around 3:30 Saturday morning on Montauk Highway in Brookhaven.
Investigators say Trent was speeding when his vehicle crossed over the double yellow line, left the roadway and overturned.
He's in the hospital with serious injuries.
Meanwhile Davis's former teammates from the Bellport high school football team also came to the vigil.
Joe Cipp Jr. coached Davis, but become more of a mentor to him.
"He came over to see me Easter Sunday and he gave me a hug," said Cipp.
"Unfortunately that was the last time I saw him, will see him."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brookhaven, accident, long island news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 48 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 15 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 7 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 6 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen