Long Island News
Brookhaven crash kills former high school football star
BROOKHAVEN (WABC) -- Former high school football star Willie Davis of Bellport was killed when the car in which he was riding went out of control and crashed Friday night on the Montauk Highway in Brookhaven.
Dozens of grief-stricken friends and family gathered for a vigil Saturday night to mourn Davis's death.
"He was my uncle. I'm never going to see him again and that's hard to digest for me," said Davis's niece, Daejianna Claiborne.
"He had a great personality," said a friend, Lauren Demas.
"He walked into the room and it lit up no matter what the mood was in the room."
Davis was in the car with his cousin Jasheem Trent, who was driving when the car went spiraling out of control.
It happened around 3:30 Saturday morning on Montauk Highway in Brookhaven.
Investigators say Trent was speeding when his vehicle crossed over the double yellow line, left the roadway and overturned.
He's in the hospital with serious injuries.
Meanwhile Davis's former teammates from the Bellport high school football team also came to the vigil.
Joe Cipp Jr. coached Davis, but become more of a mentor to him.
"He came over to see me Easter Sunday and he gave me a hug," said Cipp.
"Unfortunately that was the last time I saw him, will see him."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brookhaven, accident, long island news
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island
- Snow coming down in New York City
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 51 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos