Long Island News
Brookhaven crash kills former high school football star
BROOKHAVEN (WABC) -- Former high school football star Willie Davis of Bellport was killed when the car in which he was riding went out of control and crashed Friday night on the Montauk Highway in Brookhaven.
Dozens of grief-stricken friends and family gathered for a vigil Saturday night to mourn Davis's death.
"He was my uncle. I'm never going to see him again and that's hard to digest for me," said Davis's niece, Daejianna Claiborne.
"He had a great personality," said a friend, Lauren Demas.
"He walked into the room and it lit up no matter what the mood was in the room."
Davis was in the car with his cousin Jasheem Trent, who was driving when the car went spiraling out of control.
It happened around 3:30 Saturday morning on Montauk Highway in Brookhaven.
Investigators say Trent was speeding when his vehicle crossed over the double yellow line, left the roadway and overturned.
He's in the hospital with serious injuries.
Meanwhile Davis's former teammates from the Bellport high school football team also came to the vigil.
Joe Cipp Jr. coached Davis, but become more of a mentor to him.
"He came over to see me Easter Sunday and he gave me a hug," said Cipp.
"Unfortunately that was the last time I saw him, will see him."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brookhaven, accident, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 19 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 32 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 29 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
48 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage...
59 min ago