Long Island News
Officer investigated for alleged on-duty affair
MASSAPEQUA (WABC) -- They're paid to protect and serve, but a now-former Nassau County police officer is under investigation for his conduct while on the clock.
"At some point I found myself falling in love with him. I did," Tara Obenauer said.
She claims he spent hours at a time - on duty and in uniform - in her Massapequa house, where he'd take off his gunbelt and make himself at home. His marked police car would be parked in her driveway.
"There were times it was a source of contention, and I made comments to him - 'Aren't you supposed to be out there working?' - because it would accumulate up to four hours during a shift that he would be at my home," she said.
After a few months, the jig was up when a neighbor called Internal Affairs, who sources tell Eyewitness News used GPS to track Tedesco's cruiser, and figured out he'd parked it at Obenauer's house while on duty - 57 times!
No one came to the door at Tedesco's Holbrook home today. Obenauer says when she cooperated with Internal Affairs, the veteran cop threatened her. Now, a judge has signed an order of protection.
As soon as Internal Affairs started investigating Officer Tedesco, he retired, but without the commissioner's permission. That means while he's already started drawing an 85-thousand dollar state mandated pension, sources say the department has withheld tens of thousands in sick and overtime pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, massapequa, seaford, investigation, officer investigated, long island news, josh einiger
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
30 min ago