Long Island News
'Fifty Shades of Grey' trilogy ignites fire in women
FARMINGDALE (WABC) -- Five hundred women were vying for a chance to meet British author E.L. James, the writer of the hit trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey.
It's the tale of a young, shy woman who carries on an erotic relationship with the passionate Christian Grey.
"A lot of us are mothers and it's like a secret getaway. We had to turn away well over 2000 mothers," said Lyss Stern of the DivaMoms book club.
E.L. James herself is extremely camera-shy - she refused to do interviews or even let cameras into the luncheon at Carlysle on the Green in Farmingdale today.
However, fanatic fans were sure to record it on their cell phones, and ABC's Elizabeth Vargas did interview the mom-turned worldwide star on 20/20 in April.
It is no doubt the Fifty Shades trilogy has ignited a fire in women.
"My husband would look over and say, 'are you serious, you're blushing right now!'" said Bayport resident Cindy Campanella.
One county in Florida has now banned the book from its libraries because county officials have deemed it pornography. However women insist that it is just a really intense love story, and they want to be loved like that.
The pandemonium is sure to continue when E.L. James signs books in Paramus, New Jersey on Tuesday and in Union Square on Thursday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, farmingdale, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 44 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 43 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 32 min ago