Long Island News
Officials quash serial killer rumors on Long Island
GARDEN CITY, N.Y. -- Law enforcement officials on eastern Long Island are seeking to quiet rumors in the notorious serial killer investigation.
The Suffolk County district attorney's office issued a statement Tuesday saying it has received hundreds of inquiries about rumors in the case.
Officials have previously said there are no suspects in the case of 10 bodies found along Ocean Parkway since 2010. Tuesday's statement says neither the DA nor police will comment further.
The statement said unsubstantiated "gossip" on Internet postings harms the families of both those mentioned as possible suspects and victims.
There have been rumors in recent weeks that an arrest is imminent. Police have said that is not true.
Some of those killed were women who worked as online escorts. Other victims have yet to be identified.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, gilgo beach, hauppauge, suffolk county, long island news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Metro North trains set to be removed from accident scene 44 min ago
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers