Long Island News
Two Farmingdale students die in plane crash
SCRANTON, Pennsylvania -- A small plane that crashed near a northeastern Pennsylvania airport, killing two aviation students from a Long Island college and injuring a third, was not flying as any part of a college program, a spokesman said Thursday.
The pair who died in Wednesday night's crash were identified as 34-year-old pilot Patrick Sheridan of Long Beach, N.Y., and 19-year-old passenger Casey Falconer of Garden City Park, N.Y. Authorities identified the surviving passenger as 21-year-old Evan Kisseloff of Oceanside, N.Y.
Wayne County coroner Edward Howell said all three men were students in the aviation program at Farmingdale College at the State University of New York. Howell said autopsies will be conducted Friday. Farmingdale spokesman Patrick Calabria said the plane was not owned by the college and the flight was not part of any college program.
"The campus is in shock," Calabria said. "We're all trying to come to grips with this. Our hearts are with the family and friends of those killed and injured."
Calabria said the college aviation program has existed since the 1960s, and has a pilot training track and an airport management track. Currently, approximately 200 students are enrolled in the aviation program.
Sheridan was a senior, as is Kisseloff, according to Calabria; Falconer was a sophomore.
The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.
Farmingdale College statement:
"Our campus is in shock and we are all trying to come to grips with this tragedy. Our hearts are with the family and friends of the two students who died. President Keen has released a message to the entire campus community and is in the process of reaching out to the families of the victims to offer whatever comfort and support is needed, as well as to the student who survived. Students, faculty and staff are being encouraged to use the campus personal counseling service which is standing by if they need," said Patrick Calabria, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Farmingdale State College.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, farmingdale, farmingdale college, plane crash, long island news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos