Long Island News
Two Farmingdale students die in plane crash
SCRANTON, Pennsylvania -- A small plane that crashed near a northeastern Pennsylvania airport, killing two aviation students from a Long Island college and injuring a third, was not flying as any part of a college program, a spokesman said Thursday.
The pair who died in Wednesday night's crash were identified as 34-year-old pilot Patrick Sheridan of Long Beach, N.Y., and 19-year-old passenger Casey Falconer of Garden City Park, N.Y. Authorities identified the surviving passenger as 21-year-old Evan Kisseloff of Oceanside, N.Y.
Wayne County coroner Edward Howell said all three men were students in the aviation program at Farmingdale College at the State University of New York. Howell said autopsies will be conducted Friday. Farmingdale spokesman Patrick Calabria said the plane was not owned by the college and the flight was not part of any college program.
"The campus is in shock," Calabria said. "We're all trying to come to grips with this. Our hearts are with the family and friends of those killed and injured."
Calabria said the college aviation program has existed since the 1960s, and has a pilot training track and an airport management track. Currently, approximately 200 students are enrolled in the aviation program.
Sheridan was a senior, as is Kisseloff, according to Calabria; Falconer was a sophomore.
The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the crash.
Farmingdale College statement:
"Our campus is in shock and we are all trying to come to grips with this tragedy. Our hearts are with the family and friends of the two students who died. President Keen has released a message to the entire campus community and is in the process of reaching out to the families of the victims to offer whatever comfort and support is needed, as well as to the student who survived. Students, faculty and staff are being encouraged to use the campus personal counseling service which is standing by if they need," said Patrick Calabria, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Farmingdale State College.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, farmingdale, farmingdale college, plane crash, long island news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 13 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 5 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
5 min ago