Long Island News
Driver with 56 license suspensions arrested
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A Bay Shore man had 56 suspensions on his license, but police say that didn't stop him from getting behind the wheel.
Suffolk County Police today arrested a Bay Shore man for driving with 56 suspensions on his license on 16 separate dates.
While on patrol in Central Islip, Suffolk County police officers Brian Grenz and Christopher Barr, spotted a 2010 Nissan Altima traveling westbound on Suffolk Avenue going through a red light at the intersection of Carleton Avenue in Central Islip.
They pulled over the vehicle, and officers said the driver falsely identified himself.
Investigators eventually identified the man as 27-year-old Matthew R. Smith.
After running a DMV check on Smith, they discovered that he had 56 suspensions on his license on 16 separate dates. Smith had a total of 61 suspension/revocations on his license.
Police arrested Smith on the spot and charged him with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle 1st Degree, False Personation and Unlawful Possession of Marijuana.
Smith was also issued a ticket for going through a red light.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, suffolk county, crime, long island news
- Newtown 911 calls released 39 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 33 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 7 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 45 min ago
- Parents plea for help to save boys from rare disease 2 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
33 min ago
- Bank forecloses on homeowner who is up to...
55 min ago