Long Island News
Man charged with stealing from bank accounts
CEDARHURST, L.I. (WABC) -- Police have arrested a Long Island man accused of using an electronic device to steal money from people's bank accounts.
Police say 25-year old Mircea Popescu-Onea installed an electronic skimming device at an ATM in Cedarhurst, to get customers' bank information and personal identification numbers.
He then allegedly stole more than $8,400 from accounts at the JP Morgan Chase Bank on Central Avenue.
On Saturday, bank employees observed him checking the skimming device and notified the Secret Service.
An agent stopped Popescu-Onea as he tried to flee the scene and placed him under arrest.
He is charged with grand larceny and is due to be arraigned Sunday.
Bank customers are encouraged to review their accounts and report any suspicious activity to bank representatives.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bank robbery, nassau county, long island news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 41 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 3 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 10 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos