Long Island News
Ex-husband makes political race 'War of the Roses'
NORTH HEMPSTEAD, New York (WABC) -- A political battle on Long Island could now become Long Island's own "War of the Roses."
A bitter divorce has gone from the bedroom to the ballot box, with a man taking on his estranged wife for a state office.
Her office said she was in Albany, but Monday morning, state Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel was in her very own Great Neck driveway, dodging our questions about her unexpected opponent this November.
Mark Schimel, Michelle's now-estranged husband of 32 years, has been nominated by county Republicans to try to topple the three-term Democrat in the state's 16th Assembly District.
"He was a Republican committee member back before his wife started to run for office," North Hempstead GOP Chairman Frank Moroney said. "And then at that point, he changed over to the Democratic party. And earlier this year, apparently he changed back over to the Republican party."
Moroney insists Mark Schimel is not a flip flopper, just a soon-to-be ex returning to his roots.
But in the overwhelmingly Democratic district, Mark Schimel's candidacy would seem doomed before it even gets off the ground, as many constituents were unhappy that he was running.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, long island news, josh einiger
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos