Long Island News
Girl saves choking brother in Amityville
AMITYVILLE -- They talked about calling 911 in Grace Varley's prekindergarten class. She must have been listening.
The 4-year-old Long Island girl calmly dialed for help Wednesday after her younger brother choked on a piece of chicken and passed out.
A police officer who lived near the family's Amityville home was on the scene within moments. Officer John Adriella was able to dislodge the food and get the child breathing again.
Now Gracie is being hailed as a hero. The police sergeant who took her call tells Newsday (http://bit.ly/L70FW4) she was "cool and collected" on the line.
For a few minutes the situation was desperate. A grandmother taking care of the children was unable to clear the boy's airway and had carried the child outside yelling for help.
He's doing fine now.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, amityville, children injuries, rescue, long island news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 24 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 53 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 11 min ago
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- FDA proposes first regulations for...
11 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos