Long Island News
Girl saves choking brother in Amityville
AMITYVILLE -- They talked about calling 911 in Grace Varley's prekindergarten class. She must have been listening.
The 4-year-old Long Island girl calmly dialed for help Wednesday after her younger brother choked on a piece of chicken and passed out.
A police officer who lived near the family's Amityville home was on the scene within moments. Officer John Adriella was able to dislodge the food and get the child breathing again.
Now Gracie is being hailed as a hero. The police sergeant who took her call tells Newsday (http://bit.ly/L70FW4) she was "cool and collected" on the line.
For a few minutes the situation was desperate. A grandmother taking care of the children was unable to clear the boy's airway and had carried the child outside yelling for help.
He's doing fine now.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, amityville, children injuries, rescue, long island news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 22 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 49 min ago
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 48 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 46 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
31 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
46 min ago