Long Island News
Long Island boy, 14, dies in jet ski crash
MIDDLE ISLAND (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating a jet ski crash that killed a 14-year-old boy Sunday.
"Today's your worst nightmare. Your worst nightmare come true," Noel Monat said.
Monat is still waiting to wake up from that nightmare, where he witnessed the freak accident that claimed his 14 year old son.
"What can happen in five minutes. That's what he was on it for - five minutes," Monat said.
Dominic Triono, an avid sports player, aspiring air force pilot and brother of three, wanted nothing more than to ride solo on a Jet Ski. On his Facebook page he proudly showed off the brand new watercraft his grandfather bought and listed his profession as co-captain, of grandpa's Jet Ski.
With a newly minted license, he went for the first time on his own in the waters off Mattituck on Sunday, but his family watched as he made a fatal mistake.
"You know the anchor line sticks out and when he came across the bow he probably didn't see the chain. He was too close and he just hit the chain and that was it," Monat said.
All of this happened at the mouth of Peconic Bay, just three minutes from the marina. The family rushed Dominic back to meet up with an ambulance crew, but it was too late.
"When they said they were not going to use the helicopter, I knew it was not good," John Martinelli, his grandfather, said. "This was a big day for him. He was all smiles until that last second. I guess he died with a smile on his face."
Grief counselors were on hand at Longwood High School where Dominic was played football and an honors student.
Police will inspect the Jet Ski for possible mechanical failure, but as of now call it an accident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, child killed, long island news, josh einiger
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 4 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300 49 min ago