Long Island News
Eyes on the skies at Bethpage Air Show
JONES BEACH (WABC) -- The Memorial Day Weekend took off on Long Island Saturday with the high-flying spectacle of the 9th annual Bethpage Air Show.
An estimated 200,000 people turned out for what's known as Long Island's greatest show.
The show opened Saturday and continues Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Jones Beach State Park.
The event features thrilling stunts from top pilots, including the popular U.S. Navy Blue Angels and Canadian Forces Snowbirds.
This year's lineup also features several show favorites such as the U.S. Army Golden Knights, the U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor, the American Airpower Museum Warbirds, and the GEICO Skytypers.
"Each letter is as tall as the Empire State Building," said one of the Skytypers, Jim Record. "We do a letter every two or three seconds, and the messages could be six or eight miles long."
The two-day event also provides a lift for the local economy.
"Whenever you can bring together a couple of hundred thousand people, it's estimated that the economic impact here alone is about 12 million dollars," said Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano.
For the full lineup, visit JonesBeachAirShow.com.
The show's center is taking place directly in front of the Jones Beach Water Tower.
Admission is free, but there is a park fee of $10 per vehicle. VIP tickets, which will allow visitors to view the air show from a private beachfront area, can also be purchased.
Adult tickets are $200 and children's tickets (ages 6-12) are $125. VIP admission includes a catered breakfast, hot and cold buffet lunch and beverage service with a beer and wine bar, as well as private restroom faciliities.
Children younger than 6 do not need VIP tickets, but must be accompanied by an adult.
No pets allowed. Patrons are encouraged to arrive early and wear beach attire, but bring warm clothes in case there's a change in the temperature.
It's recommended you bring the following items: Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, beach towels and chairs.
For more information, visit the website or send an email to email@example.com or call (516) 785-1600.
Eyewitness News is proud to be the media sponsor of the Bethpage Air Show.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bethpage, jones beach, long island news, darla miles
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos