Long Island News
Belmont strike averted ahead of Triple Crown try
ALBANY (WABC) -- A union official tells Eyewitness News reporter Kristen Thorne that a tentative handshake agreement has been reached between the New York Racing Association and Local 3 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, which had been threatening to strike ahead of the Belmont Stakes.
The resolution paves the way for I'll Have Another's shot at winning thoroughbred racing's first Triple Crown in more than 30 years.
About 150 union members at NYRA's Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga tracks have been working without a contract since February 2011, a year after the previous contract was given a one-year extension. The workers last month authorized a strike to begin Friday, the day before the running of the Belmont Stakes, the final jewel in the Triple Crown.
I'll Have Another is trying become the first horse to win the Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978.
The major issues were overtime and the structure of the tracks' work week. NYRA runs races Wednesday through Sunday, but the contract covers a Monday-through-Friday week, which means union workers earn built-in overtime on weekends. NYRA was seeking to immediately take away overtime for working Saturdays and Sundays, a move the union said would cut some workers' pay by 30 percent.
The agreement addresses all major economic issues, including shift schedules, benefits for active employees, as well as pension and retiree medical benefits. The contract runs through Feb. 28, 2014.
Last month, Cuomo took power away from NYRA, creating a temporary board to run racing for the next three years. The move came 18 days after NYRA fired its top executive, Charles Hayward, and its chief counsel as the state investigates why $8.5 million in winnings wasn't paid to bettors.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, belmont stakes, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 32 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 45 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 43 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
32 min ago