Long Island News
Belmont strike averted ahead of Triple Crown try
ALBANY (WABC) -- A union official tells Eyewitness News reporter Kristen Thorne that a tentative handshake agreement has been reached between the New York Racing Association and Local 3 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, which had been threatening to strike ahead of the Belmont Stakes.
The resolution paves the way for I'll Have Another's shot at winning thoroughbred racing's first Triple Crown in more than 30 years.
About 150 union members at NYRA's Belmont, Aqueduct and Saratoga tracks have been working without a contract since February 2011, a year after the previous contract was given a one-year extension. The workers last month authorized a strike to begin Friday, the day before the running of the Belmont Stakes, the final jewel in the Triple Crown.
I'll Have Another is trying become the first horse to win the Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978.
The major issues were overtime and the structure of the tracks' work week. NYRA runs races Wednesday through Sunday, but the contract covers a Monday-through-Friday week, which means union workers earn built-in overtime on weekends. NYRA was seeking to immediately take away overtime for working Saturdays and Sundays, a move the union said would cut some workers' pay by 30 percent.
The agreement addresses all major economic issues, including shift schedules, benefits for active employees, as well as pension and retiree medical benefits. The contract runs through Feb. 28, 2014.
Last month, Cuomo took power away from NYRA, creating a temporary board to run racing for the next three years. The move came 18 days after NYRA fired its top executive, Charles Hayward, and its chief counsel as the state investigates why $8.5 million in winnings wasn't paid to bettors.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, belmont stakes, long island news
- At least 2 dead, 22 hurt in East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 26 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase