Long Island News
Convoy of Hope helps needy Long Island residents
UNIONDALE, L.I. (WABC) -- The charitable organization 'Convoy of Hope' rolled into Long Island Saturday for its first event there, and it was a huge one.
Tens of thousands of pounds of food, groceries and clothing were given away to Nassau County residents in need.
The international relief organization partnered with local churches and business owners to host the event at the Mitchel Field Athletic Complex in Uniondale.
It's being billed as the largest single day combined humanitarian effort Long Island has ever seen.
Helping to sponsor the event was Bob Jesberger, the owner of Mid-Island Collision.
"This is a community of the haves and the have-nots," said Jesberger.
"And the haves need to do a lot more than what they're doing."
"We've seen a great influx of people just really in need," said Gabrielle Rizzuto, the project coordinator for the event.
"We've given away already about 500 pairs of shoes, and we have 5,000 bags of groceries that are halfway gone."
There were also free health screenings so the many uninsured Long Islanders could get a checkup.
Convoy of Hope partnered with about 40 local churches to help local needy families.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, uniondale, charity, hunger, long island news
- South Plainfield High School lockdown lifted 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 14 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 18 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 5 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 15 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3...
5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
9 min ago