Long Island News
Mom arrested for drunk driving with son in car
BOHEMIA (WABC) -- A mother on Long Island is facing felony drunk driving charges for a late-night car accident that injured her 5-year-old son.
Suffolk County police say 22-year-old Veronica Austin lost control of her car on Sunrise highway in Bohemia and drove into a wooded area just after 11 p.m. Thursday.
The child was transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was treated for minor injuries sustained during the crash.
Austin, of Central Islip, was charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child passenger 15 years old or younger, a felony under Leandra's Law. She was also charged with one count of DWI based on a previous conviction within 10 years, one count of endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful possession of marijuana.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt 45 min ago
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams