Long Island News
Mom arrested for drunk driving with son in car
BOHEMIA (WABC) -- A mother on Long Island is facing felony drunk driving charges for a late-night car accident that injured her 5-year-old son.
Suffolk County police say 22-year-old Veronica Austin lost control of her car on Sunrise highway in Bohemia and drove into a wooded area just after 11 p.m. Thursday.
The child was transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was treated for minor injuries sustained during the crash.
Austin, of Central Islip, was charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child passenger 15 years old or younger, a felony under Leandra's Law. She was also charged with one count of DWI based on a previous conviction within 10 years, one count of endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful possession of marijuana.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Large tornado touches down near Oklahoma City 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Muggy
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma 44 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler? 31 min ago
- Elderly man falls in Hudson off of Pier 84 24 min ago
- Investigation follows police shooting of student 27 min ago
- Metro North riders forced to find other means
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting 48 min ago
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos