Long Island News
Mom arrested for drunk driving with son in car
BOHEMIA (WABC) -- A mother on Long Island is facing felony drunk driving charges for a late-night car accident that injured her 5-year-old son.
Suffolk County police say 22-year-old Veronica Austin lost control of her car on Sunrise highway in Bohemia and drove into a wooded area just after 11 p.m. Thursday.
The child was transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was treated for minor injuries sustained during the crash.
Austin, of Central Islip, was charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child passenger 15 years old or younger, a felony under Leandra's Law. She was also charged with one count of DWI based on a previous conviction within 10 years, one count of endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful possession of marijuana.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs 10 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
20 min ago