Long Island News
Mom arrested for drunk driving with son in car
BOHEMIA (WABC) -- A mother on Long Island is facing felony drunk driving charges for a late-night car accident that injured her 5-year-old son.
Suffolk County police say 22-year-old Veronica Austin lost control of her car on Sunrise highway in Bohemia and drove into a wooded area just after 11 p.m. Thursday.
The child was transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was treated for minor injuries sustained during the crash.
Austin, of Central Islip, was charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child passenger 15 years old or younger, a felony under Leandra's Law. She was also charged with one count of DWI based on a previous conviction within 10 years, one count of endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful possession of marijuana.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park