Long Island News
Mom arrested for drunk driving with son in car
BOHEMIA (WABC) -- A mother on Long Island is facing felony drunk driving charges for a late-night car accident that injured her 5-year-old son.
Suffolk County police say 22-year-old Veronica Austin lost control of her car on Sunrise highway in Bohemia and drove into a wooded area just after 11 p.m. Thursday.
The child was transported to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was treated for minor injuries sustained during the crash.
Austin, of Central Islip, was charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child passenger 15 years old or younger, a felony under Leandra's Law. She was also charged with one count of DWI based on a previous conviction within 10 years, one count of endangering the welfare of a child and unlawful possession of marijuana.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn. 55 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again 23 min ago
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway 7 min ago
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Parts of Saw Mill Parkway remain closed due...
46 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos