Long Island News
Yacht catches fire off of Jones Beach
JONES BEACH, New York (WABC) -- Six people were rescued from a yacht that caught fire off Jones Beach.
The 46 foot boat caught fire at around 5:30pm around 300 feet from the shore. The Coast Guard and the Hempstead Bay Constables were the first on the scene and got the six people onto another boat. Nobody was seriously injured.
Wantagh and Freeport fire departments responded with fire boats, but had trouble getting close to the boat because it was right next to the jetty. The fire spread quickly and destroyed the yacht.
The cause is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bethpage Air Show on for Sunday
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos