Long Island News
Suffolk County approves outdoor smoking ban
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- Smoking will be banned later this year at parks and beaches in Suffolk County.
But a bill passed this week by the county legislature exempts parking lots, campgrounds and golf courses.
Also, there will be no fines for violators.
The resolution was crafted by Legislator William Spencer. The Centerport Democrat is also a doctor.
Spencer - faced with making compromises in his legislation - decided on parks and beaches because a lot of children go there.
The ban takes effect 90 days after the bill is signed by County Executive Steve Bellone and filed with the state.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, smoking, long island news
- Actor James Gandolfini of "The Sopranos" dies
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine 3 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
3 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos