Long Island News
Heat buckles stretch of Long Island Expressway
YAPHANK (WABC) -- The heat was so intense on Thursday that it made it to the eastern end of the Long Island Expressway buckle in Yaphank.
The pavement broke in the westbound lanes between exits 67 and 68.
Only one lane was open as crews worked to repair the damage, tying up traffic just in time for the evening rush.
The buckling also blew out some motorists' tires.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Suffolk County parents getting free alcohol test kits
- NJ couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos