Long Island News
Heat buckles stretch of Long Island Expressway
YAPHANK (WABC) -- The heat was so intense on Thursday that it made it to the eastern end of the Long Island Expressway buckle in Yaphank.
The pavement broke in the westbound lanes between exits 67 and 68.
Only one lane was open as crews worked to repair the damage, tying up traffic just in time for the evening rush.
The buckling also blew out some motorists' tires.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot 4 min ago
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos