Long Island News
Body of victim recovered in Long Island boat crash
WEST ISLIP, N.Y. (WABC) -- Authorities have recovered the body of a fisherman who plunged into the sea after two boats collided off Long Island's southern coast.
Police say 39 year old Christopher Mannino of West Islip was sitting on the back of a pleasure boat when a smaller catamaran speedboat came careening into it.
It happened around 5 o clock Saturday morning just under the bridge of the Robert Moses Causeway in the Great South Bay.
Mannino was thrown off the back.
Police have arrested the driver of the smaller boat, 26 year old Brian Andreski of Dix Hills.
Theyve charged him with boating while intoxicated.
Andreski and his passenger had to be pulled from the water after the boat flipped over.
They were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital.
The search for Mannino began almost instantaneously, the Coast Guard and Suffolk County police looking everywhere for him.
Those like Raymond Winberry, who knows the driver of the larger boat, also tried to help.
"I got a text message and I jumped out of my little boat."
"I went out there with friends and neighbors. We were all searching around," said Winberry.
But Saturday afternoon, emergency responders found Mannino's body in the Great South Bay.
Winberry says the driver of the larger boat, a licensed captain, is sick over this entire thing.
"He's very shaken up as any one of us would be, as you would be, you'd be devastated. How do you get through a situation like that?" said Winberry.
Four people remained on Mannino's 38-foot boat, which started to sink. They called 911 for help, and were not injured.
Suffolk police said they were investigating how fast the speedboat was traveling before the wreck.
Some models of the craft are capable of speeds exceeding 100 mph.
(Story contains information from The Associated Press)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, west islip, boat accident, long island news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 45 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 39 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 32 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park