Long Island News
Man drowns fetching boat in Lake Ronkonkoma
LAKE RONKONKOMA, N.Y. -- Police say a man has drowned trying to retrieve a stranger's remote-controlled boat from a Long Island lake.
Suffolk County police say Sammie Weiner's body was found Saturday evening in Lake Ronkonkoma (rahn-KAHN'-koh-mah).
Weiner was at Lake Ronkonkoma County Park on Friday evening with his 9-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter. Police say the remote-controlled boat malfunctioned, and Weiner went into the water to get it for the owner at about 8:30 p.m.
He was about 150 to 200 feet offshore when he vanished underwater. Rescuers began searching Friday and ultimately found his body near where he had disappeared.
Medical examiners have yet to determine what caused his death.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accidental death, drowning, suffolk county, long island news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 42 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case 24 min ago
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5 32 min ago
- Weather dampens Memorial Day weekend on Coney Island 1 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto 52 min ago
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
42 min ago