Long Island News
Man drowns fetching boat in Lake Ronkonkoma
LAKE RONKONKOMA, N.Y. -- Police say a man has drowned trying to retrieve a stranger's remote-controlled boat from a Long Island lake.
Suffolk County police say Sammie Weiner's body was found Saturday evening in Lake Ronkonkoma (rahn-KAHN'-koh-mah).
Weiner was at Lake Ronkonkoma County Park on Friday evening with his 9-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter. Police say the remote-controlled boat malfunctioned, and Weiner went into the water to get it for the owner at about 8:30 p.m.
He was about 150 to 200 feet offshore when he vanished underwater. Rescuers began searching Friday and ultimately found his body near where he had disappeared.
Medical examiners have yet to determine what caused his death.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accidental death, drowning, suffolk county, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos