Long Island News
Funeral held for Long Island teen killed in crash
COPAIGUE (WABC) -- Hundreds of people came out to mourn Brittney Walsh Wednesday, just hours after police said that the driver who hit her was so drunk that he was barely conscious. Friends and family have left candles and flowers at the scene of the crash.
Family and friends leaned on each other for support outside Walsh's wake in Babylon. The 18-year-old honors student was killed while driving home from work Sunday, just two days after her graduation from Copaigue High School.
"She was a really nice person, and she didn't have a bad bone in her body," friend Julia Flamenco said. "I hope she gets some justice out of this, honestly."
On Wednesday, police released a disturbing surveillance video that shows the moment of impact. Police believe Michael Grasing was drunk and speeding at 100 miles an hour on Montauk Highway when he rear-ended Walsh's SUV with such force that she was killed instantly.
Police also revealed that Grasing, a married father, had a blood alcohol content of .30 after the crash, almost four times the legal limit. He has been charged with driving while intoxicated, and more serious charges are possible. Eyewitnesses say Grasing, who had just minor injuries, was incoherent after the crash.
Earlier this week, Walsh's father said his daughter never had a chance to pursue her dreams, starting with attending York College in the fall.
"Am I angry at the man who did this?" Tom Walsh said. "I would be lying if I said no."
A funeral service was held on Thursday night.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, accident, long island news, jen maxfield
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Disturbing details emerge about suspected Etan Patz killer 59 min ago
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013