Long Island News
Elmont man convicted of killing his family
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Long Island man has been convicted of killing his family in 2010. He was arrested while living in the house with two of the bodies.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/OOFrUh ) says Dario Ormejuste (OR'-muh-juhst) faces life in prison without parole when he's sentenced on July 25 in Nassau County.
The Elmont resident was convicted Friday of first and second-degree murder.
The prosecutor says Ormejuste shot his brother, a New York City correction officer, 10 times on June 21, 2010. Later, he shot their parents.
According to trial evidence, Ormejuste told police that he was jealous of his brother, who had a good job and a nicer bedroom.
The defense plans to appeal the verdict. It said Ormejuste lived in a separate part of the house and had no idea his family had been slain when police arrived to arrest him two days later.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, nassau county, murder, trial, long island news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 49 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in...
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
49 min ago