Long Island News
Elmont man convicted of killing his family
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Long Island man has been convicted of killing his family in 2010. He was arrested while living in the house with two of the bodies.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/OOFrUh ) says Dario Ormejuste (OR'-muh-juhst) faces life in prison without parole when he's sentenced on July 25 in Nassau County.
The Elmont resident was convicted Friday of first and second-degree murder.
The prosecutor says Ormejuste shot his brother, a New York City correction officer, 10 times on June 21, 2010. Later, he shot their parents.
According to trial evidence, Ormejuste told police that he was jealous of his brother, who had a good job and a nicer bedroom.
The defense plans to appeal the verdict. It said Ormejuste lived in a separate part of the house and had no idea his family had been slain when police arrived to arrest him two days later.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, nassau county, murder, trial, long island news
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench 1 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- Body found in lake where Conn. photographer went missing
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA