Long Island News
Elmont man convicted of killing his family
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A Long Island man has been convicted of killing his family in 2010. He was arrested while living in the house with two of the bodies.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/OOFrUh ) says Dario Ormejuste (OR'-muh-juhst) faces life in prison without parole when he's sentenced on July 25 in Nassau County.
The Elmont resident was convicted Friday of first and second-degree murder.
The prosecutor says Ormejuste shot his brother, a New York City correction officer, 10 times on June 21, 2010. Later, he shot their parents.
According to trial evidence, Ormejuste told police that he was jealous of his brother, who had a good job and a nicer bedroom.
The defense plans to appeal the verdict. It said Ormejuste lived in a separate part of the house and had no idea his family had been slain when police arrived to arrest him two days later.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, nassau county, murder, trial, long island news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado 34 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Elderly man falls in Hudson off of Pier 84
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers