Long Island News
Trump to build restaurant, catering hall at Jones Beach
JONES BEACH (WABC) -- Donald Trump has reached a deal to begin construction on a catering hall and restaurant at Jones Beach.
Trump will invest more than $24 million to build the facility, which will include the restaurant for 400 and a catering areas that could accommodate up to 1,250 guests.
No state funding is involved. Trump gets a 40-year lease.
The agreement also settles several lawsuits between Trump and the state dating back to 2006.
A key to the deal centers on a basement Trump had wanted to build. The state balked because it is in a flood zone. The agreement calls for the basement to be used only for storage.
The facility will be built at the site of the former Boardwalk Restaurant at the Central Mall.
Opponents say they're worried about the scale of the facility, but a spokesman says it will be along the lines of what's already in the neighborhood.
(The Associated Press contributed to this article.)
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, jones beach, donald trump, long island news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 1 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
28 min ago