Long Island News
Teen hit by lightning at state park on Long Island
HUNTINGTON (WABC) -- An 18-year-old Long Island woman is recovering after she was struck by lightning over the weekend.
Nicole Burke, of Patchogue, N.Y. was struck at Heckscher State Park in Huntington around 6 p.m. Sunday as a thunderstorm rolled through the area.
A bolt of lightning touched down in the parking lot, but it's not clear if the teenager was hit directly.
Nicole is in good condition and recovering in the Burn Center at Stony Brook University Hospital.
Burke's family issued a statement thanking all who are asking about her: "They are thankful that Nicole is doing well after the frightening incident of being struck by lightning. They request that she be allowed to rest so that she can go home and return to normal as soon as possible."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, huntington, long island news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday 40 min ago
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger
- Suffolk County parents getting free alcohol test kits
- NJ couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos