Long Island News
West Nile virus discovered on Long Island
WEST ISLIP (WABC) -- Health officials say the West Nile virus has been found on Long Island for the first time this season.
A mosquito sample taken from Gardiner County Park in Islip on June 20 and a dead crow found in Northport on June 27 tested positive for the virus.
In neighboring Nassau County, no positive samplings have been found so far.
Last year, four Suffolk residents were reported infected with the disease. In Nassau there were 16 confirmed cases, including a 70-year-old man who died.
Health officials advise residents to remove stagnant water where mosquitoes breed. Mosquitoes transmit the disease.
The West Nile virus is mild for most people, but can be deadly for others with weak immune systems.
Some people experience only mild flu-like symptoms after contracting West Nile virus, but the infection can cause meningitis or encephalitis, which can result in a potentially fatal inflammation of the brain or spinal cord.
Reducing Exposure to Mosquitoes
If you think you have symptoms of West Nile virus, see your doctor right away. The most common symptoms are headache, fever and extreme fatigue. For more information about West Nile virus, and how to avoid it, visit the Health Department website at www.nyc.gov/health or call 311.
Information on West Nile virus surveillance is available at http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/wnv/wnvrrs.shtml/a>.
<!--NOTHING BELOW HERE-->
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
long island, islip, northport, west nile virus, long island news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 34 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 28 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 21 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park