Long Island News
West Nile virus discovered on Long Island
WEST ISLIP (WABC) -- Health officials say the West Nile virus has been found on Long Island for the first time this season.
A mosquito sample taken from Gardiner County Park in Islip on June 20 and a dead crow found in Northport on June 27 tested positive for the virus.
In neighboring Nassau County, no positive samplings have been found so far.
Last year, four Suffolk residents were reported infected with the disease. In Nassau there were 16 confirmed cases, including a 70-year-old man who died.
Health officials advise residents to remove stagnant water where mosquitoes breed. Mosquitoes transmit the disease.
The West Nile virus is mild for most people, but can be deadly for others with weak immune systems.
Some people experience only mild flu-like symptoms after contracting West Nile virus, but the infection can cause meningitis or encephalitis, which can result in a potentially fatal inflammation of the brain or spinal cord.
Reducing Exposure to Mosquitoes
If you think you have symptoms of West Nile virus, see your doctor right away. The most common symptoms are headache, fever and extreme fatigue. For more information about West Nile virus, and how to avoid it, visit the Health Department website at www.nyc.gov/health or call 311.
Information on West Nile virus surveillance is available at http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/wnv/wnvrrs.shtml/a>.
<!--NOTHING BELOW HERE-->
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
<center>Get Eyewitness News Delivered</center>
long island, islip, northport, west nile virus, long island news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 10 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 59 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 21 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
10 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos