Long Island News
Suffolk County police make pair of fireworks busts
SUFFOLK COUNTY (WABC) -- Police made a pair of arrests in Suffolk County Wednesday for illegal fireworks.
In one case, the bomb squad was called out to an East Moriches home, where a man inside was trying to build his own explosives.
Now, 34-year-old Ronald Walker is charged with reckless endangerment after police say his parents called them to report what he was doing. Authorities closed off part of Woodcrest Drive around 1:30 p.m. to keep neighbors safe as they raided the home, where they found chemicals and other components used to make dangerous homemade fireworks.
Officials say illegal fireworks cause an estimated 15,000 fires and 60 injuries nationwide on the Fourth of July each year.
In this crackdown, a routine traffic stop led to the arrest of another man in Melville Wednesday. Police say 40-year-old William Legette was found with illegal fireworks in his car after he was pulled over just before 8 p.m. for failing to signal. They believe he planned to sell them.
Legette is charged with unlawfully dealing with fireworks, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and numerous traffic violations.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, melville, fireworks, long island news
- Large explosion, fire reported in East Harlem 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 3 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 3 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 52 min ago
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos