Long Island News
Wake, funeral Sunday for 2 victims of boat accident
OYSTER BAY (WABC) -- Sunday will be a day of mourning for the young victims who died in the July Fourth boating accident on Long Island Sound.
A wake will be held in Huntington for 11-year-old Harlie Treanor. In East Northport, friends and family of 12-year-old David Aureliano will come together at a funeral home.
Those two cousins, as well as 8-year-old family friend Victoria Gaines, died Wednesday.
They were trapped in the cabin of a yacht that capsized in Oyster Bay.
Twenty-four other people on the boat escaped.
Police believe overcrowding on the yacht may have contributed to the accident.
A memorial fund is being set up to pay for the funeral expenses for Victoria Gaines. People who wish to donate can contact:
Gruenberg Kelly Della
700 Koehler Avenue
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
Associated Press writers Mary Esch in Albany, N.Y., and Tom Hays, Larry Neumeister and Colleen Long in New York and researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this report.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, oyster bay, boat accident, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ