Long Island News
Nun killed in hit and run accident
WATER MILL (WABC) -- The search continues for a hit and run driver who struck and killed a nun on Monday night.
Sister Jacqueline Walsh, of Syosset, was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident on Rose Hill Road in Southampton.
"She was just the backbones of the parish. Everyone just counted on Sister Jackie to help. She never says no. She never says why not or why me. She was just a wonderful person," parishioner Peggy Swanson said.
Walsh was spending a week at a retreat house in Water Mill, Southampton with her fellow sisters. She decided to go for a stroll on Monday night. Police say she was walking on Rose Hill Road when a car hit her. The driver fled.
Police say they do have a suspect. They believe he lives around the Southampton area.
"The vehicle has been located. We know who the driver is. There are police officers right now on the street trying to locate him," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
In the meantime the St.Edward Confessor Community is trying to cope with the loss. Walsh was involved with pretty much every aspect of church life and was very close with the parish children.
Parishioners are trying to look at this entire thing the way they think Walsh would
"I think what Sister Jackie would want would be to extend her own mercy and forgiveness to whoever did this to whoever took her life," Deacon Jim Murphy said.
Detectives located an unoccupied 2009 Volkswagen Touareg with front-end damage approximately half a mile from the scene.
The search for the driver continues, and detectives are asking for help in locating a Hispanic male, approximately 5-foot-7, in his 20s or 30s, with short spiked hair, who was wearing dark shorts and a white shirt at the time of the accident.
Anyone with information should call the Detective Unit at 631-702-2230.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hamptons, hit and run accident, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident 3 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 4 min ago
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation