Long Island News
Long Island woman gets 3 to 9 years for deadly crash
MINEOLA (WABC) -- A Long Island woman who admitted she was high on drugs when the van she was driving jumped a curb and killed a woman mowing her front lawn was sentenced to 3 to 9 years in prison Tuesday.
Kayla Gerdes, then 18, ran down 69-year-old Dr. Rebecca Twine-Wright as she mowed her lawn in Hempstead in April of 2010.
Gerdes pleaded guilty to manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter, driving while high on drugs, reckless driving, criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal possesion of a forged instrument, criminal possession of stolen property, unlawful possession of marijuana, conspiracy and operating a motor vehicle without a license.
Prosecutors had been seeking the maximum of up to 15 years, but the judge said the guilty pleas will spare the victim's family the ordeal of a trial.
Gerdes had a stolen prescription pad and over 50 painkillers when she was arrested.
"Kayla Gerdes's actions before, during and after the crash prove that she cared more about her pills than the innocent woman she had just struck and killed," Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said. "This was a senseless tragedy that further underscores the perils of prescription drug abuse, and my office will continue to aggressively investigate, arrest, and prosecute doctors and pharmacists who illegally flood our streets with these dangerously addictive drugs."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, manslaughter, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos