Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man drives car on Long Island golf course
MANHASSET (WABC) -- A Long Island man is in custody after police say he intentionally drove a car onto a golf course, striking several carts and doing extensive damage to the course.
Nassau County police charged Chris Meier of Sayville with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and aggravated driving while intoxicated. It wasn't immediately known if he had a lawyer.
Police say Meier drove a Ford Taurus onto Deepdale Golf Club in Manhasset Tuesday evening. They say he struck at least two golf carts, one of which was occupied. No one was injured.
Meier allegedly continued driving around the course until his car became stuck in a sand trap.
Police say he attempted to flee on foot but was held by club employees until police arrived.
Police estimated the damage at more than $10,000.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman 32 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
12 min ago