Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man drives car on Long Island golf course
MANHASSET (WABC) -- A Long Island man is in custody after police say he intentionally drove a car onto a golf course, striking several carts and doing extensive damage to the course.
Nassau County police charged Chris Meier of Sayville with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and aggravated driving while intoxicated. It wasn't immediately known if he had a lawyer.
Police say Meier drove a Ford Taurus onto Deepdale Golf Club in Manhasset Tuesday evening. They say he struck at least two golf carts, one of which was occupied. No one was injured.
Meier allegedly continued driving around the course until his car became stuck in a sand trap.
Police say he attempted to flee on foot but was held by club employees until police arrived.
Police estimated the damage at more than $10,000.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance 4 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident 41 min ago
- Lingering flood waters create commuting headache
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash 11 min ago
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 14 min ago
- 2 men arrested in after incident with Pakistan plane
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
14 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos