Long Island News
Accused sex offender charged with plotting to kill victim
INWOOD (WABC) -- A Long Island man already behind bars for allegedly drugging and raping a teenage boy is now charged with murder for hire.
Daniel Miller, 45, of Inwood was arraigned for plotting to kill his alleged victim to prevent him from testifying.
Prosecutors say Miller offered to pay someone 15-thousand dollars to have the boy killed.
Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said that detectives were informed of the plot in June by a confidential source. The source said that he had been approached by one of Miller's relatives to visit Miller at the jail. During the visit, Miller asked the source to arrange to have the sexual abuse victim killed, and then instructed the source to go to Miller's home for more information.
When the source arrived at Miller's home, he met with two of Miller's family members who provided him with documents containing the intended victim's personal information. The source then contacted police and met with Miller at the jail. During that meeting, Miller offered to pay the source $15,000 to arrange the killing by making it look like a cell phone robbery, and told the source that his mother, a secretary at Lawrence High School, had stolen the personal records of the intended victim from the school.
Rice said the investigation is ongoing and charges could be filed against additional suspects, including Miller's family members. Prior to the murder-for-hire plot, investigators said Daniel Miller had asked a relative to have an unidentified man make a Voodoo doll of the victim and stick pins and knives into it, and to use the victim's photo and dirt from his house to perform a ritual intended to give the victim cancer.
Miller faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted. Bail was set in the amount of $5 million bond or $2.5 million cash. He is due back in court August 1.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, inwood, crime, sex abuse, long island news
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos