Long Island News
Home owners scammed by party-throwing renter
AMAGANSETT (WABC) -- Authorities in the Hamptons says homeowners and landlords are being scammed by a guy throwing parties for underage kids.
One Hamptons homeowner said he found a giant mess after a huge after prom party at his house that he had no idea was even going on.
Another homeowner says the same thing happened to her. Lucy Sachs says she arrived at her family's century old mansion in Amagansett at five in the morning to find 100 teenagers sprawled all over the place.
The man behind it, she says, was 25 year old Lee Hnetinka.
"When this happened I said, 'Lee, you cannot sub-lease according to this lease, so you're done. You're no longer in this house,'" she said.
Sachs family snapped video of Hnetinka. They had to call the police on him because they say Hnetinka hired a locksmith to break into the Sachs home so he could rent it out again for more underage bashes.
"I'd like to see him stop doing it but I'm sure he's going to keep trying," Sachs said.
Eyewitness News spoke with several of the alleged scammed homeowners and they say Hnetinka tricks people into thinking he's coming in from out of town to use the house to relax for himself and his family
But instead home owners find a trashed home when they return. They say Hnetinka charges teenagers hundreds of dollars each and throws huge parties, complete with buses, alcohol and security guards to fend off police.
Sachs says the kids she busted in her house didn't know the breadth of Hnetinkas alleged scam.
"At one point I had 35 kids in the kitchen, all wide-eyed about how I was duped and they were duped," she said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hamptons, amagansett, scams, long island news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 2 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 5 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 27 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 6 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 30 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
30 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos