Long Island News
Man accused of taking photos of girl
MASSAPEQUA (WABC) -- A Massapequa man is under arrest, accused of taking photos of a little girl at an ice cream store on Thursday night.
According to detectives, an off-duty Nassau County Police Officer was at Mad Topper ice cream store on Hicksville Road in North Massapequa when he witnessed Richard Stacel, 44, taking photos of an 8 year old girl with his cell phone without the girl's knowledge.
When Stacel walked outside, the officer approached him and identified himself. A struggle ensued and the defendant broke the phone and memory card for the phone.
Seeing what was happening, the store owner called 911.
Stacel went to his car and sat in the driver's seat, but the officer was able to stand blocking the open door preventing him from leaving the scene.
The suspect allegedly tried to reach for a stun gun inside the vehicle, but other officers arrived on the scene and placed Stacel under arrest.
No injuries were reported.
Stacel is charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and endangering the welfare of a child.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, massapequa, crime, child endangerment, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97