Long Island News
Wrong-way Long Island driver hits police officers' car
WYANDANCH, L.I. -- Police say a drunken driver going the wrong way on a Long Island road crashed head-on into a police car. Two officers were hurt.
One of the Suffolk County police officers remained hospitalized Sunday with a cut on his head and back and shoulder injuries.
The other officer has been released from a hospital after being treated for back, neck and shoulder injuries.
Police say Rony Santos drove west in the eastbound lane of Long Island Avenue in Wyandanch around 10 p.m. Saturday.
They say he hit the officers' car near Wellwood Avenue.
The 42-year-old Santos was examined for minor injuries and released. He was arrested on a driving-while-intoxicated charge.
He lives in Wyandanch.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, accident, drunk driving, dwi, long island news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos