Long Island News
Wrong-way Long Island driver hits police officers' car
WYANDANCH, L.I. -- Police say a drunken driver going the wrong way on a Long Island road crashed head-on into a police car. Two officers were hurt.
One of the Suffolk County police officers remained hospitalized Sunday with a cut on his head and back and shoulder injuries.
The other officer has been released from a hospital after being treated for back, neck and shoulder injuries.
Police say Rony Santos drove west in the eastbound lane of Long Island Avenue in Wyandanch around 10 p.m. Saturday.
They say he hit the officers' car near Wellwood Avenue.
The 42-year-old Santos was examined for minor injuries and released. He was arrested on a driving-while-intoxicated charge.
He lives in Wyandanch.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, accident, drunk driving, dwi, long island news
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon 37 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile 57 min ago