Long Island News
Wrong-way Long Island driver hits police officers' car
WYANDANCH, L.I. -- Police say a drunken driver going the wrong way on a Long Island road crashed head-on into a police car. Two officers were hurt.
One of the Suffolk County police officers remained hospitalized Sunday with a cut on his head and back and shoulder injuries.
The other officer has been released from a hospital after being treated for back, neck and shoulder injuries.
Police say Rony Santos drove west in the eastbound lane of Long Island Avenue in Wyandanch around 10 p.m. Saturday.
They say he hit the officers' car near Wellwood Avenue.
The 42-year-old Santos was examined for minor injuries and released. He was arrested on a driving-while-intoxicated charge.
He lives in Wyandanch.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, accident, drunk driving, dwi, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide