Long Island News
Drunk boating charges after 2 passengers go overboard
WANTAGH (WABC) -- Police in Nassau County have arrested a Seaford man on charges of boating while intoxicated after two of his passengers ended up in the ocean.
The incident happened about a mile off Jones Beach just before 6:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Investigators say one of the men, 37, was tossed from the back of his 23' Trophy boat while on a fishing trip in the Atlantic Ocean.
Another passenger, 32, jumped in after him.
The operator of the boat, 36-year-old Anthony Marmo, apparently did not realize the two men went overboard until the boat was far enough away that they were out of his sight.
He called police for help.
Lifeguards from Jones Beach saw the two men and rescued them with a rowboat.
They were taken to Nassau County Medical Center for observation.
Marmo was arrested and charged with boating while intoxicated.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, wantagh, jones beach, boating, boating while intoxicated, long island news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos