Long Island News
Endangered sea turtle rescued from Long Island Sound
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- A 1,000-pound sea turtle was rescued in the Long Island Sound Monday night.
The female leatherback sea turtle got caught in the lines from a bunch of lobster pots about a mile north of Mount Sinai Harbor.
The species is on the endangered list, so her rescue was considered extremely important.
Authorities say it took three hours for police to free her.
But once they did, she was able to swim away on her own.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013