Long Island News
Survivor in LIE wrong way crash speaks out
BRONX (WABC) -- A 49-year-old father is lucky to be alive after being hit head-on on the Long Island Expressway.
Police say he was struck by a driver going the wrong way. It is not clear if the driver was drunk at the time of the crash.
When you look at the damage of the vehicles involved, it is incredible to hear that he survived.
Eyewitness News spoke to him after he was released and headed right to his office.
That's right he's back at the office.
"I'm real fortunate. Real fortunate. I don't know where it came from where that guardian angel is. I feel blessed," said Joe DeGuardia.
DeGuardia is in a lot of pain. He has bumps and bruises from head to toe but he says the pain is a welcome reminder that he's alive.
The accident happened on the Long Island Expressway on Sunday morning.
DeGuardia says the black car had no lights on.
He says as soon as he noticed it he felt the explosive crash which sent his car spinning on the highway.
He said the first thought was about where did that car come from and the second one was about his two sons.
"To be honest I thought I was dead. Frankly I was worried about my kids and how they'd be without me," he said.
The Westchester dad spent less than two days at the hospital.
The 23-year-old female passenger in the car going the wrong way is in the hospital, the 24-year-old male driver died.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 2nd murder conviction in death of cop Peter Figoski
- 'Unusual condition' seen before Metro North crash
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river 43 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- A-Rod sells home and makes $15 Million profit 39 min ago
- abcnews: Hurricane season could be 'extremely active'
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash....
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos