Long Island News
Mailman credited with saving elderly woman's life
GARDEN CITY (WABC) -- He is as much a part of St. Paul's Crescent as the people who actually live there.
On what could have been the last day of 87-year-old Madeline Wittman's life, letter carrier Mario Serrano noticed that something was wrong as he placed Monday's mail in her box.
Serrano realized Wittman had never picked up what he dropped off on Saturday.
"Something told me to go back cause there was two days worth of mail in there," said Serrano, "I heard running water coming through the window, and I heard some moaning. I thought somebody was singing in the shower actually, but then I realized she was actually saying 'help me, help me!' I pushed open the window to let her know I was there and called 911."
Turns out Wittman, who has lived alone since losing her husband four years ago, had spent two days on her bathroom floor. Paramedics rushed her to the hospital.
"Who knows what would have happened if Mario didn't act on his instincts knowing that he kept feeling something was wrong and he went back," said Garden City Postmaster Annette D'Amato.
Now Serrano's postmaster is burning with pride. She has submitted him for a National Hero's Award. When he returned to St. Paul's Crescent on Tuesday, it was like a rockstar had come to town.
He may be their hero, but Serrano himself isn't so sure. He insists he was just doing his job.
"She had the will to live. That has to be taken into account," added Serrano.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, josh einiger
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 42 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 26 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 4 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos