Long Island News
Mailman credited with saving elderly woman's life
GARDEN CITY (WABC) -- He is as much a part of St. Paul's Crescent as the people who actually live there.
On what could have been the last day of 87-year-old Madeline Wittman's life, letter carrier Mario Serrano noticed that something was wrong as he placed Monday's mail in her box.
Serrano realized Wittman had never picked up what he dropped off on Saturday.
"Something told me to go back cause there was two days worth of mail in there," said Serrano, "I heard running water coming through the window, and I heard some moaning. I thought somebody was singing in the shower actually, but then I realized she was actually saying 'help me, help me!' I pushed open the window to let her know I was there and called 911."
Turns out Wittman, who has lived alone since losing her husband four years ago, had spent two days on her bathroom floor. Paramedics rushed her to the hospital.
"Who knows what would have happened if Mario didn't act on his instincts knowing that he kept feeling something was wrong and he went back," said Garden City Postmaster Annette D'Amato.
Now Serrano's postmaster is burning with pride. She has submitted him for a National Hero's Award. When he returned to St. Paul's Crescent on Tuesday, it was like a rockstar had come to town.
He may be their hero, but Serrano himself isn't so sure. He insists he was just doing his job.
"She had the will to live. That has to be taken into account," added Serrano.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, josh einiger
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos