Long Island News
Overnight fire guts strip mall in Valley Stream
VALLEY STREAM (WABC) -- A four-alarm fire tore through a strip mall on Long Island overnight, burning through more than a half dozen stores.
The fire broke out in one of the stores on West Merrick Road in Valley Stream just before 11 p.m. Wednesday.
The flames spread through as many as nine businesses as hundreds of firefighters from neighboring towns responded. In addition to the Valley Stream Fire Department, firefighters came from Lynbrook, Rockville Centre, Elmont, Malvern, Lakeview, Inwood and Woodmere.
It took at least two hours for firefighters to get the blaze under control.
At least one firefighter was being treated at the scene, but not serious injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire, which is believed to have started at Merrick Dry Cleaners, is under investigation.
Several of the businesses were extensively damaged by the fire, and other businesses by substantial smoke and water damage as a result of the fire. Dale Drug Store, which has been in the area for 55 years, was completely destroyed.
"You know, it's sad, because my boss puts his life into this pharmacy, and it's gone," manager Lisa Manzolill said tearfully. "I put my life into this pharmacy. And it's gone. But life goes on, and we're already looking into another place to relocate. And we just gotta keep trucking."
The Arson Bomb Squad and the Nassau County Fire Marshal were present at the scene and are investigating.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, valley stream, fire, long island news, darla miles
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures