Long Island News
Hero brothers save babysitter's life
SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Two young brothers are being called heroes for saving the life of a woman who went unconscious in a swimming pool.
"We were both afraid that she was going to die," said Nicholas Otto-Bernstein, hero.
Even faced with death, 11-year-old Jonathan and 13-year-old Nicholas Otto-Bernstein stayed calm.
The brothers were swimming Sunday afternoon at their Southampton home when they noticed their sitter was unconscious and turning blue.
"It was really scary because we didn't know what was going to happen," Jonathan Otto-Bernstein said.
The boys managed to get her to the pool steps.
Jonathan kept her head above water while Nicholas called 911.
Nicholas: Umm, my brother he is helping her right now.
911: Is she out of the pool?
Nicholas: No, no. No she is not out of the pool, the victim is not out of the pool.
911 : Okay, hold on stay on the phone for me.
Guided by a dispatcher, Jonathan started CPR until paramedics arrived within minutes.
"They calmed us down. They said you guys did a great job of not letting her drown. And that we were really brave and we saved her life," Jonathan Otto-Bernstein said.
Their sitter suffered a seizure for the first time.
She's out of the hospital and doing well thanks to Jonathan and Nicholas.
So, village officials recognized the brothers for their quick action Thursday night Their parents couldn't be prouder.
"Their reaction with someone who's unconscious and knowing what to do in that moment was really tremendous," said Katharina Otto-Bernstein, the boys' mother.
"I'm quite impressed. I don't know if I could have done the same thing at their age. I probably would have panicked. They were so cool and composed. Even if they were scared," said Nathan Bernstein, the boys' father.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, southampton, hero, rescue, long island news, carolina leid
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
7 min ago