Long Island News
Body of missing boater found; Homeless friend arrested
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- A homeless man is now under arrest, charged with boating while drunk in the waters off Long Island. Investigators have also recovered a body that is the boat's owner, who apparently fell overboard near Rockaway Inlet.
The owner's name is Stanislaw Nawrocki, and divers and boats scourecd the area before finding the body just before noon Friday.
Detectives say 54-year-old Janusz Sowa was observed operating a 1990 26-foot Bayliner in the vicinity of the Crow's Nest Marina in Oceanside around 4 p.m. Thursday.
Sowa reported that he and Nawrocki went out on the vessel earlier in the day, and that Nawrocki had fallen overboard somewhere in vicinity of Rockaway Inlet. He searched on his own for about an hour and a half before finally stopping at the marina to ask for help.
The Nassau County Marine Bureau, Town of Hempstead Bay Constables, NYPD. Harbor Unit, U.S. Coast Guard Station Jones Beach and the Nassau County Aviation Unit assisted in the search.
Sowa is being charged with operation of a vessel while under the influence of alcohol. He reportedly does not speak english.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, ocean, drunk driving, long island news
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma