Long Island News
Body of missing boater found; Homeless friend arrested
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- A homeless man is now under arrest, charged with boating while drunk in the waters off Long Island. Investigators have also recovered a body that is the boat's owner, who apparently fell overboard near Rockaway Inlet.
The owner's name is Stanislaw Nawrocki, and divers and boats scourecd the area before finding the body just before noon Friday.
Detectives say 54-year-old Janusz Sowa was observed operating a 1990 26-foot Bayliner in the vicinity of the Crow's Nest Marina in Oceanside around 4 p.m. Thursday.
Sowa reported that he and Nawrocki went out on the vessel earlier in the day, and that Nawrocki had fallen overboard somewhere in vicinity of Rockaway Inlet. He searched on his own for about an hour and a half before finally stopping at the marina to ask for help.
The Nassau County Marine Bureau, Town of Hempstead Bay Constables, NYPD. Harbor Unit, U.S. Coast Guard Station Jones Beach and the Nassau County Aviation Unit assisted in the search.
Sowa is being charged with operation of a vessel while under the influence of alcohol. He reportedly does not speak english.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, ocean, drunk driving, long island news
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 55 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 56 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 17 min ago
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house 4 min ago
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
6 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos