Long Island News
Coram-based prostitution, heroin ring busted
CORAM -- Authorities have busted a heroin and prostitution ring on Long Island.
Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota says eight were arrested in connection with the Coram-based ring.
He says the ringleaders received raw, uncut heroin every two weeks from a Bronx supplier. He identified them as Sandra Russell and Steven McDaniel, both of Coram.
Russell was scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday. Her attorney told Newsday that his client would be vindicated.
Spota said Russell paid the young prostitutes with heroin.
McDaniel was arrested in November. Spota said he wrote a letter to Russell from jail telling her to manage the prostitutes so they "need and depend on you so you have power over them."
McDaniel's attorney could not be reached for comment.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, coram, prostitution, heroin, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
20 min ago