Long Island News
$2,000 reward offered after puppy tossed from car
SUFFOLK COUNTY (WABC) -- A pit bull puppy is recovering and lucky to be alive after he was tossed from a moving car on Long Island over the weekend.
Now, the Suffolk County SPCA is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible.
SPCA chief Roy Gross said the incident occurred sometime in the afternoon on Saturday on the Pilgrim Psychiatric Center property near the Sagtikos Parkway in Brentwood.
The male pit bull puppy was in a closed black plastic bag and was taken to West Islip Emergency Veterinary Clinic by Islip Animal Shelter personnel.
According to veterinarians who treated the puppy they named Joey, he suffered from multiple neck fractures, is malnourished and has bite marks on his neck.
The wounds indicate that the puppy was probably used as a bait dog by dog fighters.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Suffolk County SPCA at 631-382-7722. All calls will be kept confidential.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, dog, animal abuse, long island news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver 4 min ago
- Stabbing reported near Times Square 39 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled 29 min ago
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- 2 dead in double shootingi in NJ doctor's office 46 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
39 min ago
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street...
29 min ago