Long Island News
Toddler killed in Long Island house explosion
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- An 18-month old toddler was killed and 14 others were injured that were inside a home that exploded on Long Island Tuesday.
Passing motorists stopped and gasped, unable to comprehend a blast so powerful it leveled an entire house, injured 14 people, and killed an 18 month-old boy.
The family of little Rah-quan Lamar Palmer told Eyewitness News that there was absolutely no odor of gas. No warning whatsoever.
But experts say leaking propane would be enough to launch the house off its foundation in less than a minute. The question now is what caused the leak and what caused the gas to ignite.
Marshalls seized two 200-pound propane tanks Tuesday night and are now looking-into what appliances they fuelled and when the most recent shipment was delivered.
The landlord lives in a building in Canarsie where his son asked not to appear on-camera, but told Eyewitness News that plumbers had been working to repair a stubborn water leak in the basement of the home.
While experts say water pipes and propane pipes can be mistaken for one another, and a plumber was present at the time of the blast, it is not clear whether any actual work was on-going.
Without a single, smoking gun, the investigation will take time.
Meanwhile, the local minister is struggling to raise donations for the family who lived here and lost their little boy.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, explosion, long island news, n.j. burkett
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 6 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs 33 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
43 min ago