Long Island News
Toddler killed in Long Island house explosion
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- An 18-month old toddler was killed and 14 others were injured that were inside a home that exploded on Long Island Tuesday.
Passing motorists stopped and gasped, unable to comprehend a blast so powerful it leveled an entire house, injured 14 people, and killed an 18 month-old boy.
The family of little Rah-quan Lamar Palmer told Eyewitness News that there was absolutely no odor of gas. No warning whatsoever.
But experts say leaking propane would be enough to launch the house off its foundation in less than a minute. The question now is what caused the leak and what caused the gas to ignite.
Marshalls seized two 200-pound propane tanks Tuesday night and are now looking-into what appliances they fuelled and when the most recent shipment was delivered.
The landlord lives in a building in Canarsie where his son asked not to appear on-camera, but told Eyewitness News that plumbers had been working to repair a stubborn water leak in the basement of the home.
While experts say water pipes and propane pipes can be mistaken for one another, and a plumber was present at the time of the blast, it is not clear whether any actual work was on-going.
Without a single, smoking gun, the investigation will take time.
Meanwhile, the local minister is struggling to raise donations for the family who lived here and lost their little boy.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, explosion, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 54 min ago
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 41 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 25 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 13 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 13 min ago