Long Island News
Toddler left alone at beach
BAY SHORE, N.Y. (WABC) -- There are still questions left unanswered after a little girl was left alone on the beach.
Her day care providers wouldn't shed any light on the situation to Eyewitness News. She is now safe and sound.
The cool waters of the Great South Bay were lapping at the beach at Heckscher State Park.
It was a fun day for a 2-year-old girl until, park police say, she was left by her day care provider.
The children, police reveal, came from "Our Little Darlings Early Education Center" on Santam Court in nearby Bay Shore.
On Thursday, the state revoked the day care's license.
They had played on the beach, they say, and at one point the children were gathered up and they left.
The 2-year-old had been playing with another little girl on the beach.
That girl's mother became concerned, when they got up to leave, she alerted park officials.
"The police responded there, initiated a search looking for the parents and weren't able to locate the parents," said Capt. Bruce Marx, New York State Police.
More than three hours later, police say they received a call from the day care provider asking if they found a child.
"From that organization we received the name of the parent. We notified the parent who came to Heckscher State Park Police Station and took custody of the child," Capt. Marx said.
There was no answer at the door of the center even though Eyewitness News could see people moving around inside the split level home.
Other neighbors say the center, in this residential neighborhood has been here for little more than a year with about 10 children coming and going each day.
"That's bad. I've never seen anything like that. There is usually somebody always following somebody else. They're always in pairs holding hands," said Shari Knaust, a neighbor.
The New York State Park Police are continuing their investigating.
They say criminal charges are possible.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, child endangerment, bay shore, long island news, tim fleischer
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford 48 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing 58 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos